Pages

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Several blog posts I never actually got round to writing

1) A post about how I have started reading any old book that takes my fancy, rather than waiting only for the Perfect Novel, and how now I am reading children's fiction, non-fiction books on subjects like psychology, the Holy Grail and feminism, and novels which sometimes utterly enthral me but which I wouldn't usually choose. I had planned to mention  how constantly inspired I am by the reading blog written by the writer Paul Magrs. I am also pretty indebted to Ali Shaw, author of the stunning novel The Girl with Glass Feet, for his blog post Thoughts on the Pleasures of Half Understanding, which has made reading non-fiction a lot less like chewing through wood.

2) A post about my traumatic morning with the Lattes watching Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue at the cinema, which left me in a complete panic about bringing up two daughters, a state which was not helped AT ALL by just having read Natasha Walters' book Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism. Tinkerbell's every movement suggested a lifetime in training for jumping out of a cake at a stag night. I spent most of the film muttering to Eldest: "Tinkerbell's outfit is completely unsuitable for garden work" and seething about the idea that the only way for a scientist to bring up his daughter is to give up his job and eat picnics in the park with half-clad imaginary creatures.

Who is funding these picnics?


This was a U-rated film, for goodness' sake. Who is Tinkerbell aiming to please? Mary at Disney Princess Recovery may have decided to give Disney's Tangled film a miss, but I'd say it was a feminist triumph after this one. At least the girl was wearing an ankle-length dress, and could knock a bloke out with a frying pan.

3) A post thanking Pings and Needles for listing me as one of her favourite blogs with under 300 subscribers. I'm supposed to highlight three other blogs of my own, but I'm not sure what I do with blog awards and after reading Sue's post at The Quince Tree I'm even less sure. But hang on. There are four blogs here already. They qualify. Let's go with those.

17 comments:

  1. The economics of these stories always gets to me too! Truly glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you made me laugh with your Tinkerbell paragraph. Esp the training for the cake and the unsuitable gardening wear. Thank you *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Gawd. Tinkerbell is taking styling tips from Kerry Katona. What an excellent role model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. geesh, now I'm happy I'm having only boys!!!

    (thank you for the links..)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just wait till you have a nearly teen daughter. I have a blog post I havent got round to writing all about 12 rating dvds...........

    ReplyDelete
  6. egads! re. tinkerbell hell

    I agree with silverpebble - very Kerry K ... eek.

    - and I love the way you accepted and passed on your prize!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, Tinkerbell-Disney hell..
    I can cope with daughter no 2 singing 'I do, I do, I do believe in fairies', but daughter no 1 using the words cool - clothes - look - like - want - no - need in one sentence freak me out. Although I'm then usually reassured a bit when she climbs a tree without any regard for Very Important Cool Outfit. (Don't know how long the tree climbing will last though..) And don't get me started about those blinking Disney 'books'..

    Thanks for the Paul Magrs link!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Shaw's post on Half Understanding. I've nearly accepted that I'm a half-reader...reading too many books at one time and always a few don't get completed. So, I aim for Quarter Understanding. And if pain and panic are pleasurable states, then I'm looking forward to reading Living Dolls. Congrats on getting through Tinkerbell movie. A feat :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please tell me Tinkerbell isn't coming to this side of the world. I am still trying to dodge the last Disney effort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jannette - on stressful days, I have been known to force the Lattes to chant "I do, I do, I do believe in mummy."

    It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grin.. (That's me humming that the rest of the day.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Little Lad's birthday is in exactly three weeks. Trying to decide whether to make his life worth living by purchasing the (PINK! PINK!) Disney princess scooter (or bike).

    Does it make it any better if he hasn't actually seen any of the movies?

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad I have boys who won't want to see Tinkerbell although they loved Tangled. It's not really a girlie movie for a Disney one. Also hello. I'm delurking.Sounds like something ships do on Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well thanks for delurking, sisterteal! I didn't mind Tangled at all, either, really.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My middle name is Tinkerbell. You've really hurt my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just had an overdose of your caffeine, catching up with posts from before Christmas. Enjoyed them , agreed with them a lot, and now am commenting so as not to be lurking.
    Happy, belatedly, New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure you'll get such daft notions knocked out of the Lattes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I always try to respond - either here in the commentbox or by email if Blogger gives me your email address.

Thanks for visiting!