Pages

Monday 1 November 2010

November


For Silverpebble's Splash of Colour Week, I shall let you into an old family secret - The Coffee House Patented Method of Avoiding Trick or Treating.

We don't like trick or treating. We are miserable people. The Lattes would love to go, but we stand firm. Last year we devised an alternative, which centres mainly around milk laced with food colouring, served in suitably unusual glasses and renamed 'Witches' Brew'; pumpkin lanterns; spooky stories by the fire in flickering candlelight; and absolutely, positively not going outside in the rain and cold.


It also involves cake bribery.


As it is November, this morning I saw my first poppy seller of the year. I love the Royal British Legion poppies; we rarely pass a seller during November without buying or replacing a poppy. Not only are they just so simple and stunning, but as soon as they appear each year I'm reminded of my late stepfather and the Navy stories he would tell over and over again.


I was going to do Autumn leaves, but there are much more talented blogger/photographers out there who can take care of this for us. So one last picture - this is what it looks like to be me, all wrapped up in my woolly scarf.