Pages

Monday 11 April 2011

And now a word from our sponsors

Something new has appeared on my blog. There it is, in my sidebar - the little badge with the Rice Krispies men on it.

Back in January I went to Kellogg's, where I talked about healthy eating and did cutting and sticking. I have to admit, I'd turned up in a bit of a grump - I was fighting a losing battle with breakfast most mornings, with children refusing to eat their delicious porridge or taking one bite out of slices of toast and declaring the rest to be 'crusts'.

One of the things I liked most about the visit to Kellogg's was just how straightforward they were. When another blogger asked a question about low GI diets vs low carb, the nutritionist looked perplexed. Why not just eat a healthy diet? she said. And then showed us the good old Eatwell Plate. No-one was trying to reinvent the wheel here.


Since then, I've relaxed a bit - a bit of variety never hurt anyone. The Rice Krispies men are welcome at our table, and we all enjoy weekend visits from the Choc 'n' Roll monkey.

A few weeks later, Kellogg's emailed to say they were planning to sponsor some bloggers to go to the Cybermummy parent blogger conference in June. Did I want to be considered? I said yes, but didn't really expect to hear anything back. I was very excited to hear that I'd been chosen to receive sponsorship.

I'm looking forward to it a great deal: a day full of blogging workshops, a speech by Sarah Brown, and a night in a London hotel without children. I'll get to meet new people, learn new things, and eat my breakfast without anybody screaming.

In celebration - and to show my thanks to Kellogg's - I shall be doing the Special K diet, and making something out of Rice Krispies, and blogging about both very soon. Kellogg's didn't ask me to do this, I just thought it would be nice - I might lose some weight, and the children could eat something gooey. Everyone wins.

19 comments:

  1. Just as long as you don't end up looking like a Special K flake ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you, Cybermummy! I'll be really good fun, I'm sure. Though I'm not convinced anything could get me to do the special K diet....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please give Pop a hug for me. For whatever reason, I was more drawn to him than I was to Snap or Crackle.

    Cybermummy sounds like nothing but fun! Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cybermummy sounds like fun - although I confess I prefer the sound of the sticky rice krispie treats rather than the Special K diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rice crispy treats with melted chocolate on the top are totally scrumptious - but a hotel without kids...priceless ;-).

    By the way, I really like the idea of an Eatwell plate. It seems so much more logical than the food pyramid we grew up with in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't be doing with rice krispies, half an hour after breakfast I'm starving hungry again........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think they might ask us to dress up as Tony the Tiger or the Cocopops monkey?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic news! A night away to boot!
    Think I'll join you on the diet ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing wrong with a Rice Krispie treat now and then. Or more often, depending on the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If staying at an hotel I will always have a cooked breakfast, especially if staying without children. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and will probably learn something and pass something on to others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay away from the minibar. I am sure cyber-mummies are very well behaved and I don't want any rowdiness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at gooey. ;0)

    Congrats :0) on the sponsorship!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the sponsorship AND the child-free hotel stay! Let's all make Scotcheroos to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds fab! A night away, London hotel, and there must be lots of lovely food too!? Without children moaning about it? Fantastic.. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to meet Sarah Brown too - can you tuck me into your handbag please? I'll be very well behaved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. notSupermum you've got me worried now. I'm panicking about a cockerel hat.

    Toffeeapple I know this makes me a freak, but I don't really like cooked breakfasts. They make me panic.

    Laura Thanks!

    I'm Crayon What in god's name is a Scotcheroo?

    Jannette I hadn't even thought about food. Wow. So much to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scotcheroos are like Rice Krispies treats but they're stuck together with a melted peanut butter, sugar and corn syrup mixture and topped with melted chocolate and butterscotch chips. Why do you think your Rice Krispies men are dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm Crayon those sound lethal. I'm no sugar lightweight but I am genuinely scared.

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice. You make the most of that hotel room sans kids. If the experience is anything like the first blogging conference I recently attended you'll have an absolute bloody blast.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I always try to respond - either here in the commentbox or by email if Blogger gives me your email address.

Thanks for visiting!